BIND

Saint Aardvark the Carpeted aardvark at saintaardvarkthecarpeted.com
Thu Jan 29 19:24:21 PST 2004

Evan Sayer disturbed my sleep to write:
> Wondering if there is a way to configure BIND to automatically update a
> dynamic ip within your own dns?  If not, can anyone recommend a good
> simple client?

Depends...are you talking about a DNS server that you're running?
Google turns up this page as the first hit:

	http://dag.wieers.com/howto/bits/bind-ddns.php

It's based on RedHat Linux, but the principle is the same and it looks
like it should be easy to FreeBSD-ize.

This is assuming that you're talking about updating a BIND server that
you control; if you're talking about updating something like
"myplace.dyndns.org", or some other similar service, you'll want to
check with them to see what they recommend.

> Also my isp is roadrunner, and they say that they don't
> allow web services to be run on dynamic ips.  Do they mean that they
> block the ports literally or does it just mean they frown upon it?

Again, it depends.  It might mean they will send a nasty email, or it
might mean it's firewalled off entirely.  To see if it's the latter, try
plugging your hostname into Netcraft and see if they can tell what
webserver you're running, or get a friend to portscan you.

HTH,
Hugh

--
Saint Aardvark the Carpeted