Booting Release 5.2 and XP

greg gval at mts.net
Thu Jan 29 15:52:30 PST 2004

I want to be able to dual boot into FreeBSD and Windows XP. Right now
FreeBSD is booting just fine.

Windows XP is on a FAT32 filesystem on the first primary partition of
the second hard drive. The second hard drive is the secondary master.

I am booting my system with the standard boot loader that came with 5.2
Release. It detects the windows partition on the second hard drive as
DOS partition. When I hit F5 (it prompts me to hit F5 to boot the DOS
partition), it sits there and does nothing.

I have fomated the MBR on the second drive, so it is MSed.

Previous to the FreeBSD install, I was dual booting Debian and the same
Windows XP partition. I had to do some work configuring GRUB to get it
to work. What worked was swapping HD0 and HD1 when I choose to boot XP.
This would fool Windows XP into thinking it was booting off the first
hard drive.

Is there a way to change loader.conf to do this. I have looked at the
loader.conf fig help, and did not see any thing that would obviously do
this.

Maybe there is another boot loader I could use that would allow me to
fool Windows XP into thinking it is the first hard drive?

I would use GRUB, but it does not support being installed on a UFS2
filesystem yet.

I dual boot only for the games.
--
greg <gval at mts.net>