Dynamic Router IP.

Bjorn Eikeland bjorn at eikeland.info
Wed Jan 28 04:22:40 PST 2004

På Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:10:25 +0300, skrev Marwan Sultan <Admin at kifco.net>:

> Hello everyone,
>
>    I have FreeBSD 4.8-R as a NATd ipfw enable behind a DSL router.
>    The router calling the internet and giving the connection 2the bsd
> box.
>    BSD box does the rest for my LAN.
>
>    I redirect the port 22 from the router to my FreeBSD LAN box.
> 192.168.1.1
>
>    The problem is DSL each time calls the internet has a new 'real IP'
>    so I cannot know the ip IF im at home, then i cannot access the box
> from
>    outside the LAN.
>
>    Question is:
>    Is there a way to configure the FreeBSD box to send an auto email for
>    me each time the router has a new 'real IP' ?
>
>    For sure by somehow the BSD box knows about the new ip for router.
>
>    Thank you very much in advance.
>

> --
> Marwan Sultan

Why send a email, when you can go to www.no-ip.com and register yourself a
dynamic dns entry, and thus you can alwaus access your freeBSD box using
marwan.no-ip.com or something similar. After registering you just need to
install a daemon that automatically updates the ddns every now and then. I
use this for the dial up gateway at home so I can check up on now the box
is holding up with in its harsh enviornment (i.e. my brothers) - and it
works great.

hth