The fear of cvsupping my ports...

Henrik W Lund henrik.w.lund at broadpark.no
Tue Jan 27 13:26:04 PST 2004

Greetings!

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to work around this little
problem I have. I'm running 4.9-RELEASE, by the way.

Now, the thing is, I run into problems when I've cvsupped my ports tree.
"make index" bails out afer about 2 seconds, and "portsdb -U" spews out
about 3000 lines of "<portname> missing:" " dependency list incomplete".
This, of course, leaves my package database mangled, with portversion
reporting all of my installed ports as being of a later date than the
ones in the ports tree. I've tried cvsupping at various points in time
over the past few weeks, but to no avail. A bit of snooping around led
me to suspect that maybe it has something to do with the make program,
but I'm not sure.

Has anyone got any idea? Must I upgrade to -STABLE? I'd rather not,
because in my experience those kinds of major upgrades leave the system
anything BUT stable. On the other hand, I'm getting tired of
reinstalling the ports tree from sysinstall to avoid complete and utter
chaos.

Please (b)cc: me, as I'm not a subscriber. Thanks!!

Henrik W Lund
Computer Engineering student
Østfold College