How to build FreeBSD entirely from sources?

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Jan 27 06:37:25 PST 2004

> Hello,
>
> "FreeBSD from Scratch" describes a method for REbuilding a FreeBSD system
> entirely from sources, starting from an existing FreeBSD system.
>
> But I want to build a new FreeBSD system on a machine currently NOT
> running FreeBSD.  How can I do this?
>
> I'm used to doing this with Gentoo Linux:
> With Gentoo, one extracts a "stage" tarball to the target partition, which
> contains gcc, glibc and some other binary programs, just enough to rebuild
> itself, using a "bootstrapping" script.  Then one does "emerge system"
> which fetches sources for the entire base system, compiles them and
> installs them.  After that, other applicantions can be installed with
> "emerge packagename" (comparable to Ports system).
>
> Can I install FreeBSD in a similar way?  Sysinstall only installs binary
> packages.
>
> I am new to FreeBSD but not to building stuff from sources (I've been
> using Gentoo Linux for quite a while now).

Yes, but you are building Gentoo from within a LINUX environment, eg you
have already installed at least a basic amount of LINUX and then built
stuff in that environment.

FreeBSD is the same, but easier.
Just download the mini-ISO and use it to do an install and include
full sources.  You might also want to also install X and the ports tree.
Then you can cvsup if you want any updates and then modify any part of
the source that you think you want, do make world and install it and.
reboot.
Then, if you want,  modify the kernel conf file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/
(work with a copy and see the LINT file in that directory plus man pages
for the devices for more information on kernel configuring) and loader
config file, and build a new kernel and install it.  Reboot again.
You will have your own completely home built FreeBSD.

It is all quite well documented in the handbook and discussed
extensively on several web sites (try Google and you will get more
than you ever wanted to know) and in several publications and books.
It is different from any of the LINUXen because it is better designed,
organized consistent.   It is too easy (but I ain't complaining).

////jerry