Mounting ISO r/w

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Jan 27 06:31:40 PST 2004

Daniela <dgw at liwest.at> writes:

> I need information how to either mount an ISO image r/w or find out what
> options I must give to mkisofs to recreate it.
> I have to add and remove some files from the tree, but all other things should
> stay as they are. I tried vnconfig, but I can't get that thing to mount r/w.

ISO9660 isn't intended to be a fully read-write format.

You can replace files with later versions by adding them to the end of
a multi-session image, but that doesn't actually remove the original
from the earlier session.

Occasionally I will do things like this by copying the files out of
the image, modifying the filesystem, and writing them back to a new
image, but that technique doesn't automatically give me the same set
of options on the 9660 filesystem.  Typically, I don't care -- I want
to use a specific new set of options anyway -- but it's not quite what
you asked for.

In theory, it would be possible to do this, but it would be very
inefficient.  It would require making a new ISO image with every
modification.

Good luck.