Is there any way to decrease size of the partition?

Mark Terribile materribile at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:49:12 PST 2004

[Vasenin Alexander writes]
> I need to downgrade one of my FreeBSD systems. Now it hosted by comp with
> 40Gb HDD. 'New' computer cannot handle such big HDD, maximum - 32Gb. So,
> I'll plan to set 32_Gb_clip jumper on this drive. The question is - is
> there any way do decrease size of /usr partition from 36Gb to 28Gb(It
> almost free now).

Is there room on another partition for the contents of /usr, even
temporarily?  If so, then you can copy the contents and reboot, then
completely decomission the partition with fdisk and edit the partition
tables.  What will happen when you try to bring the disk up with the
jumper set, I don't know; it might drop the innermost N cylinders or
it might ignore a head or two.  So be sure to have a Plan B for whatever
fast solution you use.

    Mark Terribile