Why BSD?

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Sat Jan 24 17:44:19 PST 2004

BSD is arguably more popular.  Mac OS X uses BSD code for portions of
the kernel and the userland.  10.3 uses FreeBSD 5.0 code, and previous
releases used FreeBSD 3.2 or NetBSD code.  SInce Apple is the number
one supplier of *NIX, i'd say that is a good reason.  Apple has shipped
more OS X units than all the linux distros.

The other question on my mind is the future of Linux.  The GNU would
prefer everyone to switch to GNU HURD which is a Mach kernel style
operating system.  The remaining momentum for Linux is large companies
that got on the bandwagon late like IBM, and Sun.  Personally, I never
think of IBM as a trend setter.  If they were, everyone would be using
OS/2 right now.  (my OS/2 box is really dusty!)

Also, there are two groups of distros of linux.. the large ones that
only care about $$$ and the small indepenants that have terrible
installers, limited support, and weak compatibility.  Software for
linux is tested on redhat, suse, or debian.  If you don't run the $$$
distros, good luck.

On the BSD end, i can count the distros practically on one hand.
large projects: FreeBSD, NetBSD
medium: OpenBSD, OpenDarwin
small: DragonFly, ClosedBSD, PicoBSD
the last two are actually freebsd derivatives used for specific
purposes.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

'Re-implementing what I designed in 1979 is not interesting to me
personally. For kids who are 20 years younger than me, Linux is a great
way to cut your teeth. It's a cultural phenomenon and a business
phenomenon. Mac OS X is a rock-solid system that's beautifully
designed. I much prefer it to Linux.'
-- Bill Joy, Wired Article 2003