Problem With Configuring Name Servers

Teodor Iliescu tiliescu at learn.senecac.on.ca
Sat Jan 24 14:51:15 PST 2004

Hello Gerard,

This seems to be obvious enough.
You are trying to statically assign your DNS search order, as well as
static name servers, but you have your nic, rl0 on DHCP, which overwrites
the file on boot-up, as you mention.

What you should do is take off DHCP, in rc.conf file.
Something like:

ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Above, you would set your static IP address.

Hope this helps.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Gerard Seibert wrote:

> I have the following in the resolv.conf file:
>
> domain rcn.com
> nameserver 207.172.3.8
> nameserver 207.172.3.9
>
> The following entry is in the re.conf file
>
> ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
>
> Obviously, I am doing something incorrectly here. Why are these files
> being rewritten upon rebooting of the machine, and how do I stop it. I
> have a cable connection that uses "DHCP" . I have the latest release of
> FreeBSD 5.2 installed.
>
> Thanks in advance.

"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
- Dennis Ritchie

Teodor I.
http://penguincomputing.iwarp.com
GPG key fingerprint : 9AC8 A05C 78AD AD73 91DB  CBE4 B644 F402 FBFD 5927