DHCP and multiple vlans

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Jan 24 07:12:35 PST 2004

Guy Antony Halse <guy at mombe.org> writes:

> It appears to me that there is a limit of ten bpf devices somewhere.  This
> is backed up by what I see in dhcrelay.
>
> So the question is how do I overcome this limitation?

I took a look at the code (a fairly quick look -- I'm not running 5.x
myself) and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me as an
explicit limit.  Perhaps it's part of a devfs configuration?

> In FreeBSD 4.x you used to specify the number of BPF devices in the kernel
> configuration pseudo-device line.  That doesn't appear to be the case now.

I don't think that's currently true in 4.x either.

> I tried creating more BPF devices in /dev - I now have 80 /dev/bpf* entries,
> but that didn't help.

So you were adjusting devfs already?  You may need to try a more
recent release, and ask -CURRENT about it if that doesn't help.