FreeBSD 5.2: could not load OpenGL subsystem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 08:02:53 PST 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 04:11:49PM +0100, dslb at tiscali.dk wrote:
> [...]

OK.  Scratch that idea.  You don't want linux-XFree86-libs with
linux_base-7.1_5.  However, on reviewing earlier messages in the
thread I notice you're running an NVIDIA graphics adapter using the
default X11 'nv' driver -- and that doesn't give you any sort of
accelerated 3D graphics support at all.

Instead, install the x11/nvidia-driver port.  This is a port of the
linux code for driving NVIDIA cards, and it overwrites the X11R6
supplied libGL.so.1 shlib with it's own version.  Read the docs
carefully and be prepared to fiddle about with kernel configuration in
order to get things working.  As the driver is linux code already,
linux programs should be able to run with it just fine. (Just remember
to re-install the NVIDIA drivers if ever you upgrade XFree86-libs)

Also make sure you don't have 'Load "dri"' in your
/etc/X11/XF86Config, but that you do have 'Load "glx"', and check
/var/log/XFree86.0.log to see if the X server is having problems.

There's a whole thread on this precisely issue starting with:

    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-November/025013.html

which you should certainly look at.

	Cheers,

	Matthew