sendmail logs and other questions

JJB Barbish3 at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 22 18:47:14 PST 2004

I read the handbook sendmail section and it's meaningless.
Really need something more informative.

I see in the syslog.conf file an facility of mail.* writing
to /var/log/maillog. Ever time mail is sent and when the
system is booted this log gets posted with event records.
So I know this is sendmails log.

Is there some way to tell sendmail to use local5 as
it's facility and not mail?

I also see /var/log/sendmail.st but this log file is not
in syslog.conf. What is this file?

I use /etc/rc.conf hostname='gateway.fbsdjoned.com' and
sendmail is using userid at gateway.fbsdjoned.com.

How do I tell sendmail to use just @fbsdjones.com?

How do I tell sendmail to not do reverse IP lookup?

Is the /var/log/maillog scanned by the daily cron management
report jobs?