sendmail help?

michael Alexander linux at milwaukeevalve.com
Thu Jan 22 13:08:06 PST 2004

> As I stated before, I believe the problem is that sendmail is not
> translating my name in the "from" section of the email.  When The mail
> gets rejected, it gets send back with "From: adam at kayak", My
> isp wants it
> to be "From my_user_name at my_isp.net"

What do you have listed in your "from" on your mail client when you send the
e-mail?
Is it shown there as adam at kayak or as "my_user_name at my_isp.net"

Many ISPs don't read the from line to determine if its acceptable or not,
but go on the login.  Can you send from your mail client through the ISP?
What if you change your "from address" in the client, can you still send
through the ISP?  That would let you know if it was the from line being the
problem.

Also take a look at this
http://mail-abuse.org/dul/gateways.htm

-Mike