Problem with login.conf classes

Chris Riley criley at lumeta.com
Thu Jan 22 11:57:14 PST 2004

Hello.

I'm trying to create a login class on a 4.9 box that will add additional
restrictions for some users. I can add the login.class entries to the
default class and they work, but they apply to everyone. I only want
them to apply to certain users, but this isn't working.

Here's what I'm doing:

I create a copy of the default entry with the name "mygroup" and add
these entries to it:
	:login-backoff=0:
	:passwordtime=30d:

mygroup:\
         :passwd_format=md5:\
         :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
         :welcome=/etc/motd:\
         :setenv=MAIL=/var/mail/$,BLOCKSIZE=K,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES:\
         :path=/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/sbin
/usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/bin ~/bin:\
         :nologin=/var/run/nologin:\
         :cputime=unlimited:\
         :datasize=unlimited:\
         :stacksize=unlimited:\
         :memorylocked=unlimited:\
         :memoryuse=unlimited:\
         :filesize=unlimited:\
         :coredumpsize=unlimited:\
         :openfiles=unlimited:\
         :maxproc=unlimited:\
         :sbsize=unlimited:\
         :vmemoryuse=unlimited:\
         :priority=0:\
         :ignoretime@:\
         :umask=037:\
         :login-backoff=0:\
         :passwordtime=30d:

Then I run "cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf" like it says at the top of the file.

Then I run "chpass jrandom" add put him in the mygroup class. I verify
the master.passwd entry has "mygroup" in it.

Then I try to login as jrandom, but I use an invalid password. Using
"login-backoff=0" it should delay 5 seconds before giving another login
prompt. It doesn't.

However, if I add the 2 lines to the "default" entry in login.conf it
does work, but it works for everyone.

How can I make it so that these entries are only applied to people in
"mygroup"?

Thanks.