local mail delivery

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 08:41:32 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 06:05:09PM +0200, mikko wrote:

> I make a ssh connection to start imapd
> on the target mail-host with fetchmail, to
> get the mail, but to whom program does
> fetchmail give it to? sendmail? Or does it
> put it directly in the mailspool?
> Some other program?

fetchmail(1) generally hands off the received mail to sendmail(8) for
local delivery.  However, you can configure it to pass the mail
directly to procmail(1) or some other local delivery agent if you know
that all the incoming mail is addressed to just one account.  Since
you don't want to use procmail(8), probably that would have to be the
default delivery agent: mail.local(8)

Since you're using spamd, you need some way of feeding the mail to it
for scanning.  That's generally done via procmail rules, but you can
use a sendmail milter instead -- see the mail/spamass-milter port for
example.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way