Switching from Linux & need setup advice 5.2

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Jan 21 15:38:35 PST 2004

Victor L. Davis wrote:

> Hello FreeBSD enthusiasts,

<snip>

> What do I need to do or  where are the FAQ documents with more
> detailed instructions to get CUPS  with Gimp Print or the better
> FreeBSD solution working and more detail  on setting up sound? I'm not
> getting /dev/sound/mixer created and need  this for Gnome audio to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Vic Davis <victor.l.davis at sbcglobal.net>

In 5.x, devfs will create devices for you.  However, the GENERIC
kernel doesn't have sound support compiled into it.  Check your
dmesg --- I'm betting you have a "no driver loaded" message near
your "multimedia" entry, if such exists.

This may be as easy as adding:

device               pcm

to your kernel config and doing "make buildkernel"
and "make installkernel" as root from /usr/src.

As for CUPS, don't know much about it.  I've had a bit
of luck with aspsfilter (printing to a new HP 6100
all-in-one), but I stupidly overwrote /etc/printcap
during my last mergemaster, and my automagic
nightly backup backed it up before I realized I'd
done it .... :-(

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey