passwd command problem.

falaki at ce.sharif.edu falaki at ce.sharif.edu
Wed Jan 21 10:01:00 PST 2004

Hello;
   For some reason I had to add the passwd files of a previous FreeBSD 4.4
server to a new 4.9 one. I added passwd and master.passwd. Then I
updated the db files. Now every thing is OK and all users can login.
   My problem is that only the users in the wheel group can use passwd to
change their passwords. The permissions of /usr/bin/passwd is:
     -r-sr-sr-x  2 root  wheel  32824 Oct 27  2003 /usr/bin/passwd

I cannot understand the reason. Can anybody help me.