ipfw/nated stateful rules example

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Wed Jan 21 09:39:32 PST 2004

You do what ever you want.  But typically the private LANS are
considered secure and only the interface facing the public internet
needs stateful processing.  What you are doing is an waste of
resources  and corrupts the stateful table no matter what you think.

But the fact still remains that stateful processing on only the
public facing interface with divert/nated does not work period.

I an finished with this subject. I have made me case  and nobody has
been able to prove otherwise.

Hope the ipfw2 maint team members have been reading this thread and
do something to correct this problem, like copy the ipnat code and
make it their own so it works with ipfw2.

As an side note, I do not use ipfw1 or ipfw 2, I now use IPFILTER
because it does not have this problem and I want an software
solution that provides the MAX  protection which ipfw does not.