Imap Server and Procmail

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 01:26:40 PST 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:22:25PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:22:33PM +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 06:18:07PM -0800, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > > access.  I installed uw-imap as it's what I used on linux.  It doesn't
> > > have any confg file support and was pretty much plug in way, but on
> > > freebsd it doesn't seem to be working, it gives the error message bad
> > > username or password.  What am I missing, there doesn't seem to be
> > > anything to even configure for it to complain about.
> >
> > You need to build the mail/imap-uw port and the underlying mail/cclient
> > with -DWITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT.
>
> Will this require SSL for using plaintext or can I avoid SSL?  This is
> for a company migrating from a windoze mail server to a unix-based
> solution and I don't want to have to install a homemade CA cert on all
> the 40+ computers there.

No, you misunderstand.  mail/cclient defaults to doing SSL-ized stuff,
and this option adds back the ability to work in plaintext.

Even so, you can run IMAPS (encrypted IMAP, uses port 993) and access
it via MS Outlook quite happily, without having to install
certificates all over the place.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way