FreeBSD tunnels / performance et'al (gif/tun etc.)

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Tue Jan 20 18:42:44 PST 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> I've just setup a FreeBSD tunnel (we've tried both gif and tun [via
> nos-tun]) now between two fairly large networks of machines...

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  If using FreeBSD 5.x, you may well
want to switch to 4.x for at least one more minor version, as interrupt
latency hasn't been optimized in 5.x yet since the move to interrupt
threads, and the network stack also runs with Giant in 5.2 out of the box.
I wouldn't think this would hurt you as much as seen below, but it's worth
keeping in mind.

Also, I would generally expect gif, gre, et al, to be faster than
tun-based tunneling, as they avoid the trip through userspace, which
involves a number of packet copies.

Thanks,

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research