ipfw/nated stateful rules example

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Tue Jan 20 06:42:30 PST 2004

As the original poster of this thread, I want to say thank you to
Ken Bolingbroke who posted his rule set and to the other posters who
voiced their comments.

I want to point out that Ken Bolingbroke acknowledged that has work
around of doing keep-state on both the Lan interface and the public
interface only works because the returning public packet is being
matched by stateful table entries posted from the Lan interface
keep-state rules. Yes he provided he could make it work, but not
work correctly. In the true security sense, this is un-secure and
invalidates the whole purpose of using keep-state rules at all.

I an surprised that I have not yet heard the old timers dogma that
the Nated process it self is really performing an keep-state like
process and that is why keep-state does not work with divert/Natd.
There is some truth to that because the Nat process does have to
keep it's own internal table to remap IP address, but it just
blindly does the mapping with out any regard to if the packet
belongs to an authorized session conversation, like the keep-state
function does.

The conclusion so far is that ipfw1 and ipfw2 using keep-state rules
on the interface facing the public internet with divert/nated does
not work period. By all accounts this is an long time bug propagated
by the continued use of the legacy divert keyword sub-routine call
to ipfw's userland Natd function. The using of keep-state rules on
the interface facing the public internet is restricted to situations
where there are no Lans behind the ipfw firewall or when 'user
ppp' -NAT function is used. I have tested using ipnat as an front
end to ipfw with keep-state but that also ends up handing off the
packet to ipfw at the wrong time.

Now that ipfw2 has replaced ipfw1 in 5.2, maybe some of that ipfw2
programming teams effort can be directed at fixing this problem. The
IPNAT code of IPFILTER runs in the kernel and could be modified to
be ipfw2's external Nat function.

So firewall users who want the maximum level of protection have to
use IPFILTER. IPFILTER has had the keep state function long before
the keep-state option was ever added to ipfw1.

Still would like to be provided wrong on my conclusion.