GDBE and USB-sticks? [was: GBDE and file-backed filesystems?]

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at galgenberg.net
Tue Jan 20 02:12:54 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:59:07 -0500
"Michael W. Oliver" <michael at gargantuan.com> wrote:

> > One of the readers has replied privately, telling me there's a patch
> > for FBSD 5.x, "mdcrypt", he also supplied me with a URL for
> > downloading(thank you very much!). GDBE, he told me, would most
> > probably not work on md-filesystems.
> > But another thing came to my mind - is it possible to encrypt
> > partitions on a USB-stick using GDBE? (If that worked, it would
> > remove the need for encrypted md-files...)
> > Benjamin
>
> I will trade links with you.  Here is a link to an article describing
> GBDE on a USB ThumbDrive.  If you are not bound by a privacy request,
> please post the link to the patch you mention above.

Hi,

the one who responded to him without cc:'ing the list was me. Not out
of privacy issues, simply because I responded german.
Should have thought about a general interest on this topic and replied
here. My fault.

The link I gave him was
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/freebsd/2002-08/0116.html

The patch was written against a 5.x from Aug 2002, so if it cleanly applies
to nowadays freeBSD I do not know. But from a first glance I think it
should, though I am not that familiar with kernel code.

Joerg