Newbie question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 00:59:34 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:37:05AM +0100, Gafgo wrote:
> Hello there! I am a newbie to FreeBSD but have read a lot of handbooks.
> I have also installed different versions on my old computer just to
> practice (incl 4.8, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1). Now I have bought a new computer and
> wanted to install 4.9 for real. But during boot up this happened:
> ad0: REAL command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices...
> and there it hangs. When I tried 5.1 I had no problem. Could it be a
> hardware problem??

It sounds to me as if your new machine has hardware which is supported
under 5.x but not 4.9.  That's a very good reason to install 5.2 --
caveats about "early adopters" notwithstanding, by all accounts 5.2 is
turning out nicely.  I'd worry about using it for a system that was
mission critical to a business (read: financial consequences if it
isn't up and running), but for a home system I think it would do very
well.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way