FreeBSD 4.9: Installation: CD-ROM problems

Keith Kelly c0d3h4x0r at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:24:36 PST 2004

>From the FreeBSD FAQ (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#NO-INSTALL-CDROM<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/install.html#NO-INSTALL-CDROM>):
------------------
3.16. I booted from my ATAPI CDROM, but the install program says no CDROM is found. Where did it go?

The usual cause of this problem is a mis-configured CDROM drive. Many PCs now ship with the CDROM as the slave device on the secondary IDE controller, with no master device on that controller. This is illegal according to the ATAPI specification, but Windows plays fast and loose with the specification, and the BIOS ignores it when booting. This is why the BIOS was able to see the CDROM to boot from it, but why FreeBSD cannot see it to complete the install.

Reconfigure your system so that the CDROM is either the master device on the IDE controller it is attached to, or make sure that it is the slave on an IDE controller that also has a master device.

Well, I'm hitting exactly this problem with the install program after booting off the CD, but in my case the CDROM *is* the slave device on an IDE controller that also has a master device!  My configuration is as follows:

 - IDE1 master: hard drive
 - IDE1 slave: hard drive
 - IDE2 master: hard drive
 - IDE2 slave: CD-ROM drive

I'm a long-time Windows user who has dabbled in Linux and hated a lot about it.  After reading about FreeBSD, I'm really excited to install it and try it out.  But I can't even get into the installation process because of this issue.

Can anyone help?  I've searched newsgroup and e-mail list archives and have found nothing relevant.

- Keith