NFS & Samba problems

Zac Brown rufius at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 19:27:39 PST 2004

The problems in the earlier post are irrelevant because I figured out I was trying to connect to the wrong IP now but I have a new problem. When I use mount_smbfs I get the following error:

phineas# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.3 //zac at black/homes /mnt/home
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection refused

And when I try to mount the nfs share I get the following error:

phineas# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.3:/home/zac /mnt/home
192.168.0.3:/home/zac: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: Program not registered

Any help or enlightenment would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:23:35 -0600
Zac Brown <rufius at comcast.net> wrote:

> Well I'm a new user to FreeBSD, decided I'd give 4.9 a shot yesterday since I had this extra HDD sitting around. Well all goes well, I have video & sound working, but now I've run into the snag of getting a hold of my data off of my linux samba/nfs server.
>
> When I tried to use mount_smbfs to mount a samba share I received this error:
>
>    phineas# mount_smbfs -I 192.168.0.4 //zac at black/homes /mnt/home
>    mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Operation timed out
>
> This of course upset me because using the XFCe4 File Manager I was able to login to the linux samba/nfs server via smbclient and view my data. I hunted long and hard through all the mailing list entries for an answer to my problem and have come up with nothing. I've also googled numerous times on the google.com/bsd site to no avail. I'm really missing the "smbmount" command because it would all be fine if I could just use that. My next attempt was with NFS in which I setup my linux server with, setup my FreeBSD as a client just as the bsddiary.com version explained. I then issued the command:
>
>    phineas# mount 192.168.0.4:/home/zac /mnt/home
>
>    192.168.0.4:/home/zac: nfsd: RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Port mapper failure -    RPC: Unable to send
>
> It repeats the 2nd statement till I press "ctrl+c" in the console. At this point I'd just be happy to be able to mount a share and listen to my mp3's and access my school work etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Zac Brown
> http://rufius.com