make buildworld fails

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Mon Jan 19 13:56:39 PST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Kent Stewart wrote:

> On Monday 19 January 2004 11:55 am, Nick Rogness wrote:

> > > Yes  ;-)
> > >
> > > There is an unterminated character constant in line 1553 of
> > > "objdump.c" in the directory given by the error message.
> > >
> > > Suppose there's a semicolon missing there?
> > >
> > > However, as Kent Stewart has noticed, it's a real good idea to make
> > > sure you're building the correct src tree first.  AFAIK, 5.x is
> > > using different build tools.
> >
> > 	Forgot to mention, this is the 4 branch.
>
> All of the RELENG_4.... have the following line at objdump.c:1553
>           fatal (_("Can't use supplied machine %s"), machine);
>
> What do you have? That line has a matched pair of "'s. It sounds like
> you have a corrupted source. The usual fix is to delete it and recvsup.
> Since, you still really haven't told us what you cvsup'ed, you should
> include "in-line" a copy of your cvsup file, so that we know what we are
> trying to diagnose :).

	I cvsup'd the whole system from the stable-supfile
	provided in /usr/share/examples/cvsup.  That is what was ment by
	'the 4 branch' above.  The entire source tree (RELENG_4) like I've
	done thousands of times.

	It appears to be dying in another place this time.  I think it is
	probably memory or some other hardware problem.  Anybody had
	this experience with hardware and building?

--
Nick Rogness <nick at rogness.net>
-