GBDE and file-backed filesystems?

Benjamin Walkenhorst Krylon at gmx.net
Mon Jan 19 02:39:50 PST 2004

Hello everybody,

I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.2 on my desktop machine. I like FreeBSD
very much, I did
not make it my primary OS, so far, because of some issues. Among these was
the cryptoloop-device
I had been using under GNU/Linux, which I used for storing my diary.
If I am going to make FreeBSD my primary OS, I need that functionality from
FreeBSD, too.
Now I read in the manual, that FreeBSD features GBDE (GEOM Based Disc
Encryption) for creating
encrypted filesystem.
I am not sure, however, if GBDE will work with filesystems that do not
reside on a physical disc.
Does anybody know? I've read the manual and man-pages, but they do not seem
to answer my question...

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Benjamin