Success with Symantec Ghost 7

Peter Ulrich Kruppa root at pukruppa.de
Sun Jan 18 02:10:20 PST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Stephen Hoover wrote:

> I know the topic of "ghosting" a FreeBSD box is discussed on here from time
> to time.
>
> I just wanted to let everyone know I had a success using Ghost 7 on my
> current setup. I cloned it from a Dell PowerEdge 2450 to a generic desktop
> with same drive configuration (2 SCSI drives in each). I used Ghost to do a
> sector copy on each individual harddrive.
>
> All I had to do to get it rolling was boot to the GENERIC kernel, as the one
> I configured for the Dell server was SMP. Everything seemed to come up and
> work fine. It even saw additional drive space on the new machine, as the
> harddrives were slightly bigger.
>
> Just thought this was some good information for the list.
>
> Stephen Hoover
> Dallas, Texas
In case you have time to work it out and you can live with some
small bugs, there is a very promising OpenSource project on
http://www.sysresccd.org
SystemRescueCD is a bootable CD based on Gentoo-Linux. It can
- manage partitions
- mirror partitions
- set up connections to nfs and samba servers via network
- ntfs and ufs support is declared as experimental by the authors
  but seems to work on my home-network

Regards,

Uli.