How to find the reverse on a IP address?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 14:46:41 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 04:00:32PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > [nslookup being deprecated]
> >

> OK.   It is just that when something gets labeled "deprecated" often
> there is a note indicating that put in the man page, but I didn't see
> one for nslookup.

ISC announced the deprecation of nslookup(1) as part of the major
rewrite before the release of Bind9.

If you install the Bind9 port you will find that there isn't a
nslookup(1) man page any more.  Also, running nslookup(1) emits the
following message:

    % /usr/local/bin/nslookup
    Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
    Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
    the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.

and the BIND9 documentation includes this statement:

          Due to its arcane user interface and frequently inconsistent
          behavior, we do not recommend the use of nslookup. Use dig
          instead.

These notices will no doubt appear in the base system when BIND 9 is
imported.  Currently FreeBSD ships with BIND 8.3.7: what the plans are
for importing Bind 9 I do not know.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way