Consistent failure during 5.2 buildworld

RexFelis catlord17 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 04:24:09 PST 2004

Hello all,

I have recently updated my supfile to point at
5.2 instead of 5.1, and attempted to upgrade my
box from 5.1-p10 to 5.2 via this method, which
has worked for me before.

Following all the proceedures in the Handbook for
building the world, using a freshly cvsupped
/usr/src, I always end up with this:

===> lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo
cc -O2 -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro
-I/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo/../../../../contrib/openpam/include
-I/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo/../../libpam
-Wsystem-headers -Werror -Wall -Wno-format-y2k -W
-Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual
-Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align
-Wno-uninitialized  -c
/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo/pam_echo.c
/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo/pam_echo.c:
In function `_pam_echo':
/usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo/pam_echo.c:92:
warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will
break strict-aliasing rules
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libpam/modules/pam_echo.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libpam/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/lib/libpam.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
primus#

The kernel builds fine, though.  I am a bit
lost... can anyone help?  I am running FreeBSD
5.1-p10, albatron kx400+ Pro mobo, Athlon 1800+
processor, 2x256 MB 233 MHZ RAM, 2 x 30.7 gb
maxtor IDE hard disks, DVD-ROM and CD-RW drive,
if it helps.  I upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1 no
problem via CVSUP.

Did I misunderstand what I read about having to
install the kernel before the world, and I need
to install the new kernel before the new world
will even build?  And, is there anything
important I left out, information wise, that
would help solve this problem?  I appreciate the
help!

Thanks,

Shannon