Compile Options

Simon Barner barner at in.tum.de
Sat Jan 17 03:33:14 PST 2004

alexandream at infolink.com.br wrote:
>    I've just installed my brand new FreeBSD 5.2 system in this machine. I've
> never used FreeBSD before and I'm quite used to work with linux (specially
> Slackware, although the last 4 months I've been using Gentoo for most of my
> daily work).
>    The Question is that I could not find anything that resembled Gentoo's USE
> Flags, so I'd like to know if THERE IS anything like it, where could I read
> 'bout it (I've been checking the ports chapter in the Handbook but.. no luck).
>
>    Well, that is it. If anyone could help I'd appreciate, since I've been
> loving the way this system 'looks' (the /etc directory is just incredibly well
> structured).

Hi,

depending on what you want to do, you should have a look at either

/etc/rc.conf, or

/usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf (you have to install
ports/sysutils/portupgrade).

The former is usefull to set system wide options, such as CFLAGS, your cpu
type, etc., or special options for the makeworld process.

The latter is used by portupgrade to pass build options to ports when
it rebuilds them. (E.g.

'sysutils/xcdroast' => 'WITH_NONROOT=yes WITH_GTK2=yes' in order to
build xcdroast with non-root support and a gtk2 interface).

Hint: Like many configuration files on FreeBSD, both rc.conf and
pkgtools.conf have a man page.

Simon