squid-2.5.4_6 warning: port must be >1024

Adam McLaurin adam.mclaurin at gmx.net
Fri Jan 16 21:04:41 PST 2004

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 00:02:17 -0500
Adam McLaurin <adam.mclaurin at gmx.net> wrote:

> It seems squid can no longer bind to ports <1024 (as of 2.5.4_6). I've
> been binding to port 85 for ~2 years, and all of a sudden today my
> squid
> started crashing immediately after upgrading.
>
> I was getting this in my cache.log:
> 2004/01/16 23:52:43| commBind: Cannot bind socket FD 10 to
> 127.0.0.1:85:
> (13) Permission denied
>
> Anyhow, as soon as I changed the port to 8585, it started working
> again.
> So if you're experiencing problems with the new squid, double-check
> your
> port to be >1024.
>
> Hope this helps someone. :)

Also, keep in mind you'll need to append your rc.conf with:
squid_enable="YES"

It does seem strange that a port's behaviour would be controlled by the
rc.conf, but I suppose that's how the maintainer wanted it done. If this
is going to be how it is from now on, perhaps squid_enable should be
mentioned in /etc/defaults/rc.conf ?

--
Adam