Mail server?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Thu Jan 15 19:20:20 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 07:57:07PM -0600, Eric F Crist wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have not run a production mail server for quite some time, but I've now
> outgrown what my ISP is willing and really able to provide.  I have used
> sendmail in the past, but was wondering if there's a better solution out
> there?  I've heard of qmail and considered it before.  However, the sendmail
> configuration has always seemed pretty straight-forward.  If I stay with
> sendmail, should I download and compile from sources?

If you choose to go with sendmail, you should use the base-system's.
It's pretty up to date with critical patches and the like.

I personally prefer Postfix, which is also used by the mail-servers at
FreeBSD.org. The UCE blocking support offered by it is pretty good,
and configuration is straightforward. You don't even need to remove
the base-system's MTA, just tweak rc.conf and mailer.conf and you're
up and away.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>