NEWBIE QUESTION

Philip Payne philip.payne at uk.mci.com
Thu Jan 15 08:53:43 PST 2004

> I'm a newbie to your OS, Does Free BSD have the KDE and Gnome
> GUI already
> installed? Do you have plans in making the installation more
> user friendly
> in the future?

Like any newbie I heartily recommend reading through the "handbook" under
the documentation section of www.freebsd.org . I believe this has a good
section on installing X and selecting a window manager. Also read the
sections on updating source and buildworld, this will keep your system up to
date.

There's some good FreeBSD tutorials at http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15 worth
working through.

Also, as well as ports being your friend I've found the utility
"portupgrade" under /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade highly useful for
managing my installed packages.

Lastly, this list has always been welcoming when I've asked dumb questions
and not full of trolls or people with superiority complexes unlike other
open source lists (thanks).

Good luck,
Phil.