NOQUEUE: SYSERR (root): host "localhost" unknown ?

Rommel B. Ikeda r_ikeda at i-international.org
Thu Jan 15 05:39:31 PST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:15:51PM +0900, Rommel B. Ikeda wrote:

>>>Sendmail is trying to convert the hostname 'localhost' into an IP
>>>number.  Not being able to do that is not good.
>>>
>>>You should have at least an entry for localhost in your /etc/hosts:
>>>
>>>    127.0.0.1		localhost
>>>
>>>You might also have the IPv6 equivalent:
>>>
>>>    ::1                 localhost
>>>
>>>and having the same information available from the DNS is quite handy:
>>>
>>>    % host localhost.
>>>    localhost has address 127.0.0.1
>>>    localhost has address ::1
>>>    localhost mail is handled (pri=5) by localhost
>>>
>>>Note: you will also tend to have entries for
>>>'localhost.your.domain.com' -- these are fine, but not as important as
>>>the straight 'localhost' entries.
>>>

>>Thank you very much for the reply...
>>This was what was in my /etc/hosts before your response...
>>
>>	::1		IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
>>	127.0.0.1	IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
>>	192.168.1.35	IBM-R40e IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
>>
>>This is my new /etc/hosts now:
>>	::1		localhost
>>	127.0.0.1	localhost
>>	10.0.0.1	IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp
>>

>That's good.  However, you don't want an '@' sign in a hostname: I
>guess you probably want that last line to read:
>
>    10.0.0.1        IBM-R40e IBM-R40e.point.ne.jp
>

>>I had to supply 10.0.0.1 IBM-R40e at point.ne.jp because Gnome 2 complains
>>that it can not find it...So, I just invented it...I hope that it is
>>right...
>>

>Possibly.  It depends very much on your local configuration.  If you
>have a local ethernet network and there is an interface configured to
>use that address, then that's good.  If you don't have a local network
>using that address then you might get 'No route to host' type errors,
>in which case you can attach the hostname as an alias to the loopback
>interface, just so long as the localhost stuff is there as well:
>
>    127.0.0.1     localhost IBM-R40e IBM-R40e.point.ne.jp

I am using an IBM Thinkpad...and I use it in the office and of course at
home...
When I am in the office...I get to use 192.168.1.35 as my IP address in
our network...
In my home...where only I can access this Email...I have an ADSL
connection...and automatically gets to have and IP from my ISP's DHCP
server...
Is this correct if I will have my /etc/hosts as below:
       ::1                       localhost
       127.0.0.1            localhost IBM-R40e IBM-R40e.point.ne.jp
       192.168.1.35      IBM-R40e IBM-R40e.point.ne.jp

Thank you for any advice...and of course for the responses...

>>One thing I do not I understand is that when I do:
>>	%host localhost.
>>It will be give a "Host not found" response...But, my system is working
>>fine...What do you think is wrong with it...
>>

>That just means you haven't got the localhost stuff set up in the DNS
>servers you use.  That's OK -- having the DNS support is entirely
>optional, so long as you have the right settings in /etc/hosts.
>
>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

I am not so sure about my knowledge in DNS...but I can assure you that I
have read the chapter about DNS in "The Complete FreeBSD" and for almost
many times now...but still...I don't seem to get it...too complicated
for me...I will get back at it again...and maybe again...
I have however...an /etc/resolv.conf which contains my primary and
secondary DNS from my ISP...but everytime I use my PC in the office...it
gets changed...maybe by our DHCP server...

...many thanks...

Rommel Ikeda