How to Select Compiler Version when Installing Port

Scott W wegster at mindcore.net
Wed Jan 14 15:05:33 PST 2004

Daniel J Cain Jr. wrote:

>I am trying to get vmailmgr-0.96.9 to build from the ports collection of
>FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE.  I 'think' it will work if I can have the port use
>a different compiler version during the build.  I have been unable to
>figure/find out how (if?) this is possible.  By default it seems to use
>gcc 3.2.2, and I have the port install of gcc 2.9.5 available I just
>don't know how to make 'make' use the older version.
>
>I am pretty spoiled with the ports collection in that I almost never
>have to compile anything without using a port.  But I have managed to
>alter the source in work/ to get past a couple of the errors
>(missing/incorrect includes).  Still getting stumped by lots of errors
>along the lines of this:

>../lib/libvmailmgr.a(cdb_get.o): In function `cdb_reader::get(mystring
>const&)':
>cdb_get.o(.text+0x355): undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned)'
>
>I don't know how to work through those errors, and from what I've found
>on the net it doesn't compile with gcc 3+.  So now I would like to try
>and using gcc 2.9.5 and see if that doesn't clear up the final
>(hopefully) issue.
>
>Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
>advance for your time.

you should be able to set the value of CC in the environment, or pass it
through as a Make environment variable to use your choice of compiler...

normally you can execute:
CC=/usr/local/gcc-N.NN/bin/gcc make target

although with the BSD ports system, you may need to do it differently,
either in the top level Makefile or via:
make -E CC=/usr/local/gcc-N.NN/bin/gcc

Scott

Scott