Why is a USB modem not a USB modem?

Bryan JJ Buckley bjjbuckley at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 09:54:34 PST 2004

Hi,
How do I tell FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE to recognise my
STMicroelectronics USB Communicator as a umodem, and
not as a ugen? Yes, I do have umodem and ucom both
loaded. I have scoured the umodem(4) and ucom(4) man
pages (which are pretty short) as well as the usb(4)
man page, ugen(4), usbd(4) and usbdevs(4). Actually,
running usbdevs -v just confirmed that the FreeBSD had
apparantly all the information it needed (vendor ID,
product ID, device class, description, etc.) - but it
is still not attaching the right driver!
I've seen this question asked before, but never
answered. Here's hoping...
JJ