xmms - problem - how to fix?

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Wed Jan 14 04:05:46 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:56:19PM +0100, Simon Barner wrote:
> > I have some problem with my xmms mm player. When I'm treing to
> > listen some mp3's it gives me aN error, that I don't know how to fix.
> > I have KDE 3.1 if you need this info ^)
> > So here it is:
> > bash-2.05b$ xmms
> > /dev/dsp: Device busy
> > /dev/dsp: Device busy
> > /* with OSS driver */
> >
> > ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device busy
> >
> > ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device busy
> >
> > ** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Device busy
> > /dev/dsp: Device busy
>
> I don't know exactly, but if XmmS has an arts output plugin, you should
> certainly use it, since arts is KDE's default sound daemon.

I think part of the problem is that he hasn't told xmms to use the
esound server, and it's trying to open /dev/dsp which esd already has
open.  I'm using esd myself because artsd has some problems with playing
sound, though it is the better choice, especially if you are using the
kde desktop which uses artsd by default.   Though I am having one
problem with esd, it seems to want to exit after the last client closes
it's connection even though I started it manually and didn't give it the
-terminate option.  Anyone have any ideas why?

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C