Apache2 and mod_perl2

Randy Grafton rgrafton at indatacorp.com
Tue Jan 13 13:26:56 PST 2004

I have just installed FreeBSD 4.9 and am having problems with Apache2 and
mod_perl2.
I used the ports, which was updated immediately after install, and did a
'make install clean' for both apache2 and mod_perl2, more specifically
apache-2.0.48_2 and mod_perl2-1.99r12.
I have not gotten fancy yet and have only included the following lines in my
httpd.conf for mod_perl2:
LoadModule perl_module libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so
PerlModule Apache2

The problem is that when I do '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache2.sh start' the
machine just hangs, for a long time (4-8 minutes), before apache finally
comes up. I checked the logs and there aren't any negative entries. I
recently had to down system to move it, upon reboot it hung for 45 minutes
before I had to kill the 'apache.sh start/apachectl start/httpd -k start'
processes. When I say hung I don't mean the entire system, just the startup
processes of apache2.

I have slightly older versions on a 4.8 box that was installed identically
to what was described here and all is fine.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Randy