problems creating a bootable image using burncd

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Tue Jan 13 12:39:34 PST 2004

> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:07:20 -0600
> Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to create a a bootable CD using freesbie.
> I ran into
> > problems getting that to work. It failed to boot and the same thing
> > happened upon reburn.
> >
> > I then went to download a the 4.9 install iso to see if it was a
> > possible problem with the image that was created. The iso passed the
> > check sum, but after burning it, it would not boot too.
> >
> > I've managed to verify that it is possible of booting from
> that drive
> > using a old win98 install disc I have laying around. The install for
> > that comes up fine.
> >
> > I've also tried it at different speeds and have gotten the same
> > results.
> >

> > Any ideas?
>
> What method are you using to burn the CD?  If it's a method that's
> worked for you in the past, it sounds like you might have some flaky
> CD-R's.

I seem to recall a discussion some months ago regarding a change to the way
boot CDs were made. This had the effect of breaking bootable CDs when using
older BIOSes that only knew about the "old" way of booting from CD. Pardon
my vagueness. I thought this was a 5.x issue but perhaps it was/is a 4.9
issue as well.

-lee