IPv6 and multiple interfaces

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Tue Jan 13 11:48:54 PST 2004

At 2004-01-13T18:30:19Z, Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net> writes:

> If you want them to carry IPv6 traffic.  To phrase it differently, you
> shouldn't use the same IPv6 address on multiple interfaces, but you don't
> have to run IPv6 on all interfaces.

Gotcha.  OK, back to being on-topic for FreeBSD: how would I assign v6
addresses to those interfaces?  I'm running rtadvd on that machine and it's
my understanding that sending and accepting advertisements on the same host
is a no-no.  Should I just give them all static assignments in /etc/rc.conf?
And is there any suggested way for "inventing" the addresses for those
interfaces?

>> "link-local"?  Is there a decent (English language) FAQ that's readable
>> by technical users who aren't networking experts?

> http://www.ipv6.org/

That refers to:

> http://www.v6.wide.ad.jp/

...which does not resolve.  :-/