How do I add a third ATA controller to 4.8?

peter lageotakes plageotakes at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 11:31:59 PST 2004

--- Paul Hoffman <phoffman at proper.com> wrote:
> At 9:20 AM +0000 1/12/04, Martyn Hill wrote:
> >Paul
> >
> >I notice that the kernel config file you present is
> using the "old" device
> >ata lines - is the ATA controller a particularly
> old model?
> >
> >If not, then the LINT kernel config file shows an
> alternative, viz
> >
> >device    ata            # just one entry for all
> ata controllers, no need
> >to reference IRQs etc...
> >device    atadisk        # for your IDE disks
> >device    atapicd        # for your CD-ROM like
> devices
> >
> >You should comment out the ata0/ata1 lines before
> adding the above (and
> >additionally, remove any "device wd*" lines in that
> section.)
> >
> >Then rebuild your kernel.
> >
> >Hope that helps.
>
> Thanks to all for the effort, but it didn't. The
> dmesg output still
> shows only ata0 and ata1. I am starting to believe
> that the problem
> lies in the Dell, not in FreeBSD.
>
> I'll work around this by attaching the drive to the
> second IDE
> controller and later experiment with adding a third
> controller on the
> PCI bus.
>
> --Paul Hoffman

There seems to be a PR associated with the ATA
controller (PR 54549).

I have had a similar problem trying to get FreeBSD
(4.9) installed.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how
I got it installed on the 600sc.  However, I do
remember one thing: going into /stand/sysinstall will
cause the system to lock (panic).

Currently its running something else other than
FreeBSD :-(

Hope this helps,
Pete