Problem with amd (automount daemon)

Ernst de Haan znerd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 12 11:04:58 PST 2004

Still haven't completely figured out what the solution is, but I think I
know what's happening:

- kscd is hanging to the drive, even though there is no audio CD in there
- amd fails at the first attempt to read /dev/cd0c and fails on succeeding
  calls

However, even if I reload amd with 'killall -HUP amd' it doesn't show
anything below /mnt/cdrom/. Perhaps there is some other file locked?

> > I've got a problem with amd. This is the error I get when I access my
> > CD-ROM drive at /mnt/cdrom/:

[...]

> Is amd running, and with what arguments?  What does your /etc/amd.conf
> file look like?  Are portmap and nfsiod running?

It has to be running, otherwise I wouldn't get the error messages, I
presume..

This is in my /etc/rc.conf:

portmap_enable="YES"
amd_enable="YES"
amd_flags="-a /.amd_mnt -c 3636 -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map"

And indeed it's running:

$ ps -ax | grep amd
   88  ??  Is     0:00.02 amd -p -a /.amd_mnt -c 3636 -l syslog /host /etc/
amd.map

> Also, I've found that at least some CD audio playing programs, like ascd,
> will hang onto the cd device even when they aren't playing and there's no
> audio CD in the tray.  If I try to access a data CD after playing an
> audio CD, I will get the error you see unless I kill the CD-playing
> program.

I did that and indeed kscd was hanging on it. I killed it and tried fstat
again, and now I get:

$ fstat /dev/rcd0c
USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W NAME

Nothing. Yet if I try to access /mnt/cdrom nothing happens.

Ernst