How do I add a third ATA controller to 4.8?

Paul Hoffman phoffman at proper.com
Mon Jan 12 10:39:48 PST 2004

At 9:20 AM +0000 1/12/04, Martyn Hill wrote:
>Paul
>
>I notice that the kernel config file you present is using the "old" device
>ata lines - is the ATA controller a particularly old model?
>
>If not, then the LINT kernel config file shows an alternative, viz
>
>device    ata            # just one entry for all ata controllers, no need
>to reference IRQs etc...
>device    atadisk        # for your IDE disks
>device    atapicd        # for your CD-ROM like devices
>
>You should comment out the ata0/ata1 lines before adding the above (and
>additionally, remove any "device wd*" lines in that section.)
>
>Then rebuild your kernel.
>
>Hope that helps.

Thanks to all for the effort, but it didn't. The dmesg output still
shows only ata0 and ata1. I am starting to believe that the problem
lies in the Dell, not in FreeBSD.

I'll work around this by attaching the drive to the second IDE
controller and later experiment with adding a third controller on the
PCI bus.

--Paul Hoffman