Speak Freely

David Miller fquestions at d.sparks.net
Mon Jan 12 05:17:21 PST 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Q wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 05:52, David Miller wrote:
> > Hi All;
> >
> > I've spent the last two days trying to get speak freely (Internet voice
> > program with encryption, see
>
> If you are intending to use this out of more than just curiosity you
> might want to look at alternatives like some of the OpenH323 clients
> (eg. net/gnomemeeting), as this particular program will be officially
> 'End of Life'ed by its author on the 15th of this month.

I know about the end-of-life message.  For now, at least, it doesn't
bother me.

I just now looked at gnomemeeting.  It doesn't appear to support
encryption.  Do you know if there's a way to keep private conversations
private, short of VPN's or the like?

> > Speakfreely was first installed from ports, then compiled in half duplex
> > mode.  If I launch sfspeaker -d from one window, and sfmike -d some.host
> > from another, I get the following error from sfspeaker:
> >
> > new:dmiller$ sfspeaker -d
> > sfspeaker: 10.0.0.3 packet lost by half-duplex muting.
> > sfspeaker: 10.0.0.3 packet lost by half-duplex muting.
> > sfspeaker: 10.0.0.3 packet lost by half-duplex muting.
>
> This is exactly what's supposed to happen when you compile it with half
> duplex mode enabled. You should recompile it without defining
> HALF_DUPLEX (which should be the default) if you want this behaviour to
> stop.

I started out with full duplex.  The error message said to compile it in
half duplex.

> > One other thing that seems odd is that sound from the mike comes through
> > the speakers even when sfmike is "paused".
>
> If this is sound from your locally connected mic, then this is probably
> a mixer 'input source' issue more than anything else. Try playing with
> the 'rec' and 'mic' input level and see if it makes any difference.

I didn't observe this on a windows machine against an echo server.  My
freebsd box doesn't "speak" anything from an echo server, just gives me
the error messag above.  From looking briefly at the code, it looks like
speakfreely thinks something else already has exclusive access to the
card.

man pcm indicates that the driver is full duplex, for those cards which
support it.  I tried a card with the yamaha chip (opl, iirc) that
certainly supported it, with the same results.

sflaunch should work with half duplex drivers/devices, but I don't get any
sound echoed back from echo servers with it either, just the muting
message above.

What am I doing wrong?

--- David