aic7xxx/FreeBSD/Linux can't find disk drives

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sun Jan 11 10:38:56 PST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 08:29 am, Matt Bjornson wrote:
> Kent,
>
> Thanks, still nothing...   you're right I forgot to change my email
> to /dev/da for FreeBSD (/dev/sda is Linux scsi drive)  Any other
> ideas? I thought there might be some IRQ conflicts but there isn't
> when I look in kernel config before install...  These aren't RAID
> so I thought it'd be a no brainer....

When you are running sysinstall, the fdisk option has always presented
me with the device name of the HDs I had connected to the scsi
adapter. It would be something like da0, da1, and etc., which you
would create the slices and partitions.

I can't help beyond that because I don't have any systems with scsi
HDs on them. I could build a system with 2 - ata-133 80GB HDs on it
for what a good uw scsi adapter and HD would cost.

Kent

> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>
> On Jan 11, 2004, at 2:45 AM, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 January 2004 09:06 pm, Matt Bjornson wrote:
> >> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2400 with dual 733 Mhx CPUs.  I have
> >> tried to install  several distros of Linux (Red Hat 9.0 and
> >> Gentoo 1.4) and FreeBSD 4.8, 5.0 and while I can get the kernels
> >> to recognize the Adaptec 7890 and the Adaptec 7880 and use my
> >> scsi CDROM, when I fdisk to try to create partitions, I receive
> >> a unable to find /dev/sda Thanks
> >
> > All of the scsi disks I ever had were refered to as /dev/da...
> >
> > Kent
> >
> > --
> > Kent Stewart
> > Richland, WA