Swapped disks and now stuck in the mountroot> prompt

roberto at redix.it roberto at redix.it
Sat Jan 10 15:12:50 PST 2004

I run into the same problem: I've installed FreeBSD 4.9 on a ide0:0
(primary IDE, master hd) then ported the hard disk on a second PC and
installed as ide1:0 (secondary IDE, master hd).

When booting the kernel start probing devices but halts when it try to
mount the root file system with the following message:
 mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
 root mount failed: 6

At the prompt I've tried with ufs:/dev/ad2s1a but it does not work.

The problem is that the kernel (in some way that I do not know) is
instructed to load /dev/ad0s1a as root file system (yes at this stage the
config file /etc/fstab is not involved yet, becouse it is no available
until the root file system will be mounted).

The solution is to instruct the kernel with the right device: ad2s1a seems
to be wrong...

I'm working on it...

Bye
Roberto