Disk defragmentation

Michael A. Smith msmith at code-fu.com
Wed Jan 7 19:49:44 PST 2004

 > How can I defragment my HDD partitions in FreeBSD?

As I understand it, instead of writing instantly to disk (breaking
things up to do so, a la Windows), FreeBSD (and Linux, Solaris, etc...)
caches disk writes until a proper place on the disk can be found.

This is why it can be disastrous to just shut off a FreeBSD system (i.e.
pull the plug). A proper shutdown insures all the not-yet-written things
get written to disk.

Welcome to the brave new world of FreeBSD. Cheers!

--
Michael A. Smith <msmith at code-fu.com>
Programmer at Large