fixit

Tijl Coosemans tijl at ulyssis.org
Wed Jan 7 01:20:19 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:55:29 -0500 (EST), Peter Leftwich wrote:

> I like how you say that - "a place to stand."  It's a good lead-in for
> my question: The problem is this... the fixit shell is started and it
> doesn't really show you WHAT it is technically doing.  Is it started
> in RAM(/ramdisk/) or does it mount the FreeBSD partition on the HDD?
> Or what.

It's been a while since I've had to use it, but as far as I can remember
it has a basic directory structure in / and another one, the fixit
media, in /mnt2. Some tools and device nodes are in the first,
some in the second one.

> The problem is that root on my HDD has to be mounted before I can use
> /bin or /sbin tools - and isn't mount /sbin/mount ???

Try running fsck on the root partition before you mount it. Both fsck
and mount should be available in the fixit shell.

To mount a root filesystem on ad0s1a:

# fsck -p /mnt2/dev/ad0s1a
# mount -t ufs /mnt2/dev/ad0s1a /mnt

I hope I got all the paths right, if not, search arround a bit, they
should be there somewhere.