jails; sharing parts of file system; mounting pieces of file system in other positions, etc.

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Jan 6 23:21:19 PST 2004

On linux you can do a

% mount -bind olddir newdir

to remount a piece of the FS somewhere else.  The NullFS on FBSD seems
to allow similar things.  However, as much as I could find on NullFS in
Google seems to indicate that it is pretty much broken and shouldn't be
used.

What I want to do is run several jails that would share the "read only"
pieces of a system like / /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin and stuff like
that.  Each jail would have their own /etc and other places that would
need to be different and writable.  This way I only have to update the
system once when I upgrade and not do all my various jails one at a
time. Of course, some things would need to be done for each jail (etc
updates etc) but this would minimize it...

Is this a possible thing to do under FBSD?  How are others doing it?

Thanks for your input

Chad